The Fort Saint Jean
At the time of the crusades, the site was occupied by the Jerusalem Hospitals who raised their commandery there to convey their troups to Terre Sainte.
They initially occupied the old chapel of Saint Jean Baptiste, then undertook the construction of a new church, hospital and Commander’s palace all completed in 1365.
In the 15th century the imposing square tower was built by King René to keep the port fairway. In the 17th century the round tower of the beacon and the fort were built under the orders of Louis XIV. The tower was to help commercial vessels steer themselves towards Marseille harbour a lot more easily.
The fort was classified as a historic monument in 1964.
After having accommodated the Department for underwater and submarine archaeologicall research (DRASSM), the Fort Saint Jean welcomed in 2012 the Museum of the Civilisations of Europe in the Mediterranean (MuCEM).
The fort is open when there are temporary exhibitions.
Promenade Louis Braquier 13002 Marseille
Tel : 04 96 11 63 22
Photo : Copyright OTCM