The Frioul archipelago is made up of 4 islands. Pomègues to the south and Ratonneau to the north both linked by the Berry jetty built in 1822.
The castle (château) of If and Tiboulen islet. The archipelago has a strategic military position and since Henry IV a very significant fort has crowned the Isle of Ratonneau. The Isle of If was then fortified and under Louis XIV the fortifications were extended to the whole of the archipelago.
As from the 17th century the archipelago played a healthy role in protecting Marseille from the various epidemics with the placing into quarantine of vessels coming from Africa and the Eastern hemisphere. At the beginning of the 19th century the architect, Michel-Robert Penchaud, built the Caroline Hospital on the Isle of Ratonneau to care for the ill suffering from yellow fever.
Today, it is above all its inlets, beaches and creeks with crystal clear blue water which makes it so attractive. The site is exceptional and seductive. 200 species of plants can be observed, some of which are protected.
The village of Port Frioul was created in 1974: it has a few restaurants, a sailing port with the capacity for 700 boats and welcomes numerous sailors. The fish farm, situated on the Isle of Pomègues, raising striped Atlantic wolf fish (sea bass or anarhichas minor) has been recognised as being the first worldwide biological farm.
You can get onto the Frioul Islands from the shuttle boats which leave from Vieux Port :
Embarkment : 1, quai de la Fraternité - Vieux Port - Marseille
Same day ticket purchase from the ticket office
For more information : Marseille Tourist Office Tel : 0826 500 500 (0.15 c/min)
Underground Vieux Port line 1